.

Monday 25 February 2013

The Oscars Red Carpet Accessories - 2013

I'll admit, I've been a bit underwhelmed from what I've seen on the Red Carpet at this Oscars  this year...There seemed to be a lot of black, and no shortage of sequins, but to my disappointment, not a whole lot of colour.

As you know, I love styling and accessorising, so I thought I'd review some of the accessorising at the 2013 Academy Awards Red Carpet. Along with some sneaky photoshopping, you can see my styling suggestions on this blog. All the jewellery listed in this post can be found on Perle's online jewellery boutique: www.perlejewellerymakeup.com.au

Let's start with....Reese!

I looovvved Reese Witherspoon's old Hollywood glam hairstyle. Her locks looked luscious and classy, her makeup was kept elegantly simple, whilst her cobalt blue fishtail gown took centre stage. My only disappointment with her look was that I would have liked to see something more dramatic for her jewellery. Because her lips were so nude, I felt she needed an extra pop of colour/drama close to her face as the strength of hue in her dress was quite strong against her creamy complexion.


Nice to see Jen splash out in a juicy colour!

Jennifer Aniston tends to play it safe with black, so I was pleased to see her bold and bright in a gorgeous blood-orange strapless gown. My comments are similar to my Reese review, the dress was such a striking colour, but there wasn't much colour on her face. It would have been great to see her play it up a bit and go for something a little bolder than silver earrings....not that they didn't look nice, but I always love adding a pop of colour!


Next on the carpet is Charlize Theron 

Normally, I love what Charlize wears on the red carpet, but this year was a little too modern-minimalist for me. Her short hair, tiny earrings, and neutral makeup could have been glammed up a bit to offset her white gown. Her makeup was flawless, however perhaps a smokey eye, or bold lip colour might have been a good alternative. The dress, although plain, was quite elegant in it's structured form and she did wear it well. However, I am not a huge fan of low strapless gowns and minimal jewellery because the look is too bare and fleshy for me. I think this gown would have looked amazing with a sparkling statement necklace. 




Welcome to the carpet, Jennifer Garner...


Whilst I was initially a little undecided about Jennifer Garner's choice of dress, the more I look at it, the more it grows on me! And I do love the addition of a sparkling choker necklace. I think it was a really good choice for this strapless gown. It adds a richness to her look, and teamed with soft, tousled hair, she really does look very elegant, and I love that she chose to wear a colour! 
If you want to create a similar look to Jennifer, see my necklace selection below:


Stripes and Glitter for Halle Berry


My verdict is still out on this one. I think I like it for the most part- my eye is drawn to it, so I guess that's a good thing. I'm not so convinced about the geometric shoulder pads, but aside from that, it is quite an elegant gown. Her skin looks flawless and her accessories are pretty good. If I had styled Halle, I may have chosen slightly different earrings. Whilst her black teardrop earrings weren't offensive, they did seem quite a heavy-looking choice to wear with a dress that already had a lot going on. 

And now for my favourite dress of the night!

Not having seen the movie Anna Karenina I will admit, I didn't know who Alicia Vikander was  until now (thank goodness for Google!).... Alicia looked so poised and regal in this stunning beaded gown. I loved the colour, I loved the gold accent belt to pull in the waist, and I loved her soft, pulled back hair style and her simple accessories. She looked absolutely gorgeous...my red carpet winner I think! ;)
There's not really anything I would change, she could have gone a teeny bit more bling on the earrings, but that's just cause I love the chance to add extra sparkle!


How about you? What was your favourite Oscars dress this year?

If you would like some styling or jewellery advice regarding a special event that you have coming up, I'd love to hear from you!

 Feel free to send me your questions via email: perlejewellery@hotmail.com








3 comments:

  1. What lovely ideas! Your suggestions were always beautifully suited and the perfectly photoshopped images enhanced your written suggestions. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words and generous feedback! I am working on another blog similar to this post, but it's featuring fashion from the 55th Logie Awards. Stay tuned! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This marked the era of copper jewellery. Glazed beads and critter jewellery became popular during this period. Gemstones like Amethyst, Turquoise, Carnelian, and Feldspar were used to craft the one-of-its-kind fashion jewellery. watches

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think! Please leave a friendly comment :)